Monday, March 12, 2007

Rebuilding our Nagios box in VMware

Ok so to give background on my last post...

We are wanting to add AD authentication to our Nagios box at work, so to test everything I ghosted the box and loaded it into a VM. Well it was setup with reiserfs file system which ghost didn't know, so the ghost had to save the thing as a one to one drive backup... The image was HUGE! (Compared to what was actually on the drive) The drive was 60gig and Suse (Yes it is a Suse box) was only using like 7 gig...

Well I didn't want to have to keep a 60gig VM around to hold a 6 gig file system, so thats why in the last post I was trying to change the file system type and rebuild the kernel (I know that doesn't completely explain why but no matter). Long story short I couldn't get it to work and decided to ditch the effort and rebuilt a new version of Nagios running on EXT3 with Debian as it's Distro... So thats where I am now... I still haven't even got to the whole AD Authentication thing yet (Which I'm sure will be fun)... Oh and since I'm starting from scratch I decided to make things really hard and add to the mix Oreon which is a front end to Nagios... So Off I Go!

No comments: