Friday, August 17, 2007

Ghost 8.0 and Microsoft Vista

Ghost, Vista:

I came across something interesting with Ghost8 and vista today... It turns out that vista uses a new boot manager that ties itself to both the drives signature and to the partition, so if either one of these change it will freak out and make you do a startup repair with your installation CD. Luckily there are people out there much smarter then myself and I was able to find a work around.

I found this at http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=181082&SiteID=1

written by Alan Adams

Preparing a Vista installation prior to creating the Ghost image then becomes a task of setting the DEVICE and OSDEVICE entries of the BCD entries you intend to use:

Logon as Administrator [run Command Prompt as Administrator] and from a command prompt invoke the following changes:
BCDEDIT /set {bootmgr} device boot
BCDEDIT /set {default} device boot
BCDEDIT /set {default} osdevice boot

Note you can "fix" a previously restored (and currently failing to boot) installation using a PE boot disc and executing these same actions against the restored partition's BCD entries.

There may be more entires that you need to fix if you intend to use them ({memtest}, {legacy}, etc.). The above is just the minimum for my own scenario where there is just a clean Vista-only OS installation on the partition.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

good day! I'm glad to have stumbled upon your blog! this is useful and I am experimenting with ghost 8.0 and Vista this week. If i have any major issues I shall offer them!

Unknown said...

I am trying Ghost 8.0 and vista and I have done your suggestions at the Admin Cmd.exe prompt. I then boot using PE and run Ghost. When I try to go from Disk to Image, it goes thru all of the steps I go thru like in an XP ghost, but when I get to proceed, it says "A source volume cannot be locked.....Do you wish to attempt a force dismount?" If I click yes, it still fails. Is this a known problem? It looks like a diff problem than your post....

Travis Epperson said...

@tech-staff
I found a few things online that could be causing your problem.

First: Are you launching ghost from the hard drive you are trying to clone? If so that will cause this problem. Try copying it to another place and launch it from there.

Second: It seems that sometimes PE can create a page file on your c: drive. Check the file date of your page file on the c: drive and see if it has been created on PE bootup.
http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/source-volume-could-not-be-locked

Third: Try this unlocking program. It may point to why the drive is already locked by antoher program.
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Forth: Try Fsutil to unlock the drive
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/fsutil.mspx?mfr=true